Sunday, December 23, 2012

Aren't all Bathroom Faucets the Same?




Let me put this straight out there. I’m not very good at DIY, and know practically nothing about faucets.  So when my wife decided that we were going to upgrade I went to the hardware store to have a look at some options. I looked a bit silly when I asked the question   “aren’t all bathroom faucets the same?”

The look I got from the assistant told me straight away that I was taking an overly simplistic approach to buying my faucets. I think he even chuckled at me.

Ignorance is only a sin if you choose to remain that way. So in the spirit of self-improvement, and so I didn’t look so stupid next time, I went about finding the differences when it comes to bathroom faucets. Here is some of what I found out:


  • ·       There are different types of faucet and they do not all fit every sink basin. The three most common types are widespread, center-set and single-hole faucets.
  • ·       Faucets come in a wide array of finishes and colors. You can get them in chrome [brushed, polished or matte finish], enamel-coated, antique, ceramics,  brass,  gold, platinum, nickel and pewter.  You could even get combination of finishes that provide a very distinctive style for your bathroom.
  •        Faucet handles come in a variety of styles and movement ranges. There are lever handles, course handles and motion activated handles. It is important to consider who is going to be using  the sink when choosing the type of handle.
  • ·       Some faucets have a type of inner valve to control the stream of water that comes out. The quality of this valve and whether it has a washer or not of the primary drivers off reliability and durability.
  • ·       There are compression valve faucets, which are the most common available in the shops. These operate by opening and closing the water passage as a stem lifts and drops. They have a washer.
  • ·       Washerless varieties of faucets include cartridge faucets, ball faucets and ceramic disc faucets.  The quality and construction of each will dictate how much maintenance is required.

 Then you have it I am now an expert on faucets. If you read all that, and inwardly digested it, you have the starting point to become an expert to. A quick search for any of the terms on Google  will give you further explanation. Just don’t get caught out thinking that any faucet will fit your sink. Do check!

Although I have spent some time researching on faucets I know I’m not as knowledgeable as a plumber, or someone who has more experience than me. I would love to know if I’ve missed something.  Get in touch if you think there is something important that the reader should know about.

No comments:

Post a Comment